On Saturday 3 May, the #MeetSouthAfrica 2014 team joined up with local Instagrammers for an Instawalk in Soweto. Over 60 Insta and general photo enthusiasts met at Hector Pieterson Memorial (that commemorates the 1976 student uprising in Soweto) and set off on a walk around Orlando West. Judging from the #MeetSouthAfrica feed on Instagram, we saw the same place in a multitude of ways. Here are some of my favourites that I have borrowed from the #MeetSouthAfrica Instagram feed. If you like the pics, please acknowledge the users by liking them on Instagram!
Whether you are going on an Instawalk, travel with an organised tour or explore Soweto on your own, here are some tips for an enjoyable visit (and lekker photos):
- Talk to people – ask their name, complement them on their outfit/hairstyle/cute child. Everyone loves a compliment!
- Find out who they are – where they come from, what they do and ask about their family. Not many tourists actually take their time to get to know the people they meet, even briefly.
- Smile; it’s a universal language!
- Learn a few words in the local lingo – sawbona (good day), unjani (how are you) and ngiabonga (thank you) will go a LONG way!
- This goes without saying, but ASK before taking photos.
- Support a local trader – buy a fruit, a soft drink or a little souvenir; they will appreciate your support.