4th Avenue in Johannesburg’s trendy Parkhurst is a bustling street, filled with cafes, bars, restaurants and speciality shops. Close to the corner of 14th Street in a modern, stone-clad building you will find Coobs. The space is inviting, with high ceilings and splashes of colour on the brick-face walls. But it is the philosophy and menu that attracted me to the place.
Coobs source their produce from local suppliers and organic farms to create unique modern bistro-style food. Close to 75% of ingredients come from their own organic farm ‘Brightside’ in the Magaliesberg. The farm has been part of Chef James Diack’s family for more than 20 years and is now the main source for his food.Everything from vegetables and herbs to pork, lamb and wild boar is free-range and organic.
The menu offers starters, salads, pastas, mains and desserts that are sure to make anyone feel indecisive. So many interesting and delicious-sounding things to chose from! Here are some examples for you to salivate over:
- Wild boar bacon cobb salad with free range boiled eggs, tomatoes, avo on organic lettuce with a blue cheese and roast garlic dressing
- Acorn fed confit pork belly with whole grain mustard mayo & a walnut micro leaf salad
- Homemade pumpkin gnocchi with black pepper mascarpone
- Brightside lamb sausage served in a fennel cream sauce with rigatoni
- Harissa marinated salmon with a lemon dressed organic fennel, celery, chickpea and mint salad
- Warm organic pecan pie with pumpkin ice cream
- Beetroot and white chocolate brownie with chocolate chip ice cream
Their winelist is enormous with over 20 whites and 30 reds, and the 15+ “by the glass” options are particularly impressive.
All images courtesy of www.coobs.co.za