I have written about a small piece of heaven called Grootbos Private Nature Reserve before (click here to read more). This 5-star lodge, located in a fynbos nature reserve on the slopes of Walker Bay, is arguably one of the jewels in the South African crown of amazing destinations.
Food at Grootbos is not only a culinary feast, but also organic and locally sourced. Each night, the chef will create a new indulgent 5-course menu to celebrate the local produce and delight his diners. All of the herbs, as well as organic eggs, honey, pork, vegetables and fruit come from the on-site Growing the Future project – where local women are taught food production and life skills. This not only ensures ultimate freshness of the produce, but also contributes to upliftment of the local community. If all of that does not make for the perfect dining experience, then add the spectacular views and I dare say that no-one will leave the table disappointed!
Simply South Africa pulled Head Chef Duane Lewis’ arm to get an insight into his fabulous cooking, and guess what: he decided to share his signature dish! So next time you want to really impress someone, why not try Grootbos’
Parma-ham wrapped quail with vanilla mash & raspberry marmalade
You will need:
- 2 Deboned quail’s
- 8 Slices of Parma ham
- 2 Large potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 1 Punnet of raspberries
- 100 g sugar
- 100ml water
- 100g Of butternut puree
- 25 ml Beef Jus ( beef jus is beef stock that is reduced)
- 100 ml cream
- 50 g Butter unsalted
- Pan fry deboned quail
- Wrap in Parma ham and set aside
- Take mashed potatoes add vanilla pod seeds butter and 50 ml of cream
- Bring water to a slow boil add the raspberries then the sugar, cook slowly until jam like constancy
- Add the butternut and the cream to a sauce pan and bring to a slow boil.
- Add jus
- Cook quail approximately 3-4 min at 180ċ
- Heat up mash
- Warm up jus
- To serve put the mash at the bottom of plate, quail on top and the marmalade on top of quail and the sauce around the plate
Pair with a wine from the Walker Bay region, like the Bouchard Finlayson flagship Galpin Peak Pinot Noir.